Friday, November 8, 2013

Privacy

When is comes to new media, in particular to social media, many users raise their concerns over the privacy and confidentiality of data and personal information being shared and uploaded. Many believe that certain social networking websites also sell their users information to certain marketing companies to make extra profits. On the other hand, there have been instances when people lost their jobs just because of something they uploaded or commented about on Facebook via their profile.  Regarding privacy, I will like to share something which happened to me two months ago. There was a page on Facebook created with a name of "textbook and notes for Baruch" and I was invited on the page to join by someone I didn't know. I liked it randomly and believed that I might get some help from that page to buy cheap text books. Few day after that I received a email from Vice president office in Baruch regarding that page. They believed  that people on that page are selling test banks and past exam, so they accused everyone for cheating. Luckily for most of us, the department listened to us and didn't take any actions against us because we didn't intent to cheat and we were not guilty.
The point of all this is that are we safe on these social networking websites and do we have any privacy as individuals.
So to make sure that your information is private, I will recommend everyone to go to their profile setting and disable anything which allows the website to share your information. We think that we only know what we are doing on these sites, but in reality it is opposite.

1 comment:

  1. That happened to my friend too and she told me to be cautious of the groups I am invited to on Facebook. I like how you shared your experience with us!

    ReplyDelete